Steps to prevent a blockage in your ostomy
- Chew food thoroughly
- Avoid swallowing a piece of gristle of meat
- If trying a new food, start with a small taste to measure how your body responds
- Eat smaller quantities more often rather than a few large meals
- Stay hydrated
Foods that can cause a blockage
- Kale, spinach, char, etc (greens)
If you do experience an intestinal blockage here are a few things to try to get things moving along!
- Try a relaxing warm bath
- Change body position
- Don't take a laxative
- Note any stomal swelling and enlarge the wafer stoma opening accordingly
- Finally, call your WOC nurse or doctor for assistance with an intestinal blockage!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.